FULL NAME: Melkamu Belachew Moges
CURRENT ADMINISTRATIVE TITLE: Course Chair, Law Track
OFFICE ADDRESS: B-19
MOBILE NUMBER : +251918761137
OFFICE PHONE NUMBER: +251588999226
E-MAIL ADDRESS: email@example.com
- 2015: PhD (Law), University of Melbourne Law School Victoria, Australia.
- 2014/5: Graduate Certificate on Advanced Learning and Leadership (GCALL), Melbourne University, Victoria, Australia.
- 2008: MSc in Land Management, the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2003: LLB, Addis Ababa University, Law Faculty, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
· November 2016 to date: Course Chair, Law Track Staff.
· April 2015 to 11 Dec 2015: Coordinator, Research and Community Services, Bahir Dar University, Institute of Land Administration, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
· 2003 to 2008: Graduate Assistant Lecturer, Assistant Lecturer, and Lecturer, Bahir Dar University, Faculty of Law , Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
· 2008 to date: Lecturer and Assistant Professor, Bahir Dar University, the Institute of Land Administration, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
· 2010-2011: Head, Customer Relations Officer, Bahir Dar University, Institute of Land Administration.
· 2008-2010: Head, Research Coordination and Publication Office, Bahir Dar University, Institute of Land Administration.
· 2007-2008: Head, Research and Publication Office, Bahir Dar University, Faculty of Law.
AWARDS AND HONORS
· Melbourne Abroad Travelling Scholarship (MATS) Thursday, 9 May 2013.
· Australian Postgraduate Award (APA)- International, Sept. 2011 to February 2015.
· Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS), Sep. 2011 to February 2015.
· Melbourne International Fee Remission Scholarship (MIFRS) and Melbourne International Research Scholarship (MIRS), April-Sept.2011.
· SIDA (the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency) and SARDP (Sida-Amhara Rural Development Programme) Scholarship, Sep. 2006-July 2007.
· ‘Establishing Moot Court Competition Centre at BDU’- World Bank Grant for Development and Innovation Fund for Higher Academic Institutions- USD 50000, 2006, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia.
- Certificate of Participation, Advanced Skills Program for Sessional Teachers, Centre for the Study of Higher Education, University of Melbourne, October 2013.
- Certificate of Participation, Training on Demand Driven Research in Land Administration, 31Jan-04Feb.2011, Bahir Dar University, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
- Certificate of Participation, ATLAS-NUS Agora 2013, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 16-27 June, 2013.
- Certificate of Appreciation, International Federation of Surveyors (FIG), Sydney: 2010.
- Certificate of Participation, FIG Working Week, Stockholm: 2008; Eilat, Israel: 2009; Sydney:2010; Kuala Lumpur:2014.
UNIVERSITY COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS:
- 2015: “Mapping of Research Needs on Land Tenure Issues in Ethiopia’’ under the Land Investment for Transformation (LIFT) in Ethiopia Programme- LIFT M4P Program”.
- 2016:African Centre of Excellence Project on Establishing PhD Programme in Land Policy and Governance in Africa.
- From 2015 to date: Community service on Free Legal Aid on Land Issues.
TRAINING OF GRADUATE STUDENTS
- From 2015 to date: Teaching Land Law and Policy subject to MSc students in the Institute of Land Administration, Bahir Dar University.
- 2016: Teaching Comparative Land Law in the School of Law, Bahir Dar University.
- 2016: Teaching Natural Resources and Environmental Law in the School of Law, University of Gondar.
TEACHING RESPONSIBILITIES FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
In addition to the above, I have been teaching Land Law, Property Law, Comparative Law, Public and Constitutional Law for undergraduate students since 2008.
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Amhara Region Lawyer’s Association and Ethiopian Lawyer’s Association.
· Founding Affiliate of the Doctoral Academy, Melbourne School of Government Doctoral Academy, the Melbourne School of Government, University of Melbourne, Sept. 26, 2014.
OFFICE AND COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Amhara Region Focal person for Ethiopian Lawyer’s Association (2015).
- Advisor of Amhara Region Lawyer’s Association (2016).
a. Refereed Journal Articles and Peer-Reviewed Paper
- Melkamu B. Moges, ‘Registration as a Requirement of Validity of Transactions Relating to Immovable Properties in Ethiopia: the Case of Amhara Region’ (2016) Journal of Ethiopian Law 28 (1).
- Melkamu B. Moges & Alelegn Wondem, ‘Issues on the Role of Formal Requiremnts for Validity of Immovable Transactions in Ethiopia: the Case of Amhara Region’ (2016) Bahir Dar Journal of Law 6(1).
- Melkamu Moges, ‘Sharing the Principles: Founding the Australian Cadastral System on Robust Legislative Framework’ (2014) 23 Australian Property Law Journal.
- Melkamu Moges: A Cadastral System Approach for Environmental Protection: a Focus on Australia (2014) Prop L Rev, Vol 4, Pt 2.
b. Conference Papers
- Melkamu Moges (Paper Presentation: 16th African Real Estate Society Conference, Sept 5-9, 2016, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa –Africa Hall, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia): Good Governance as a Critical Success Factor for Land Registration Systems: the Tale of Three Countries.
- Melkamu Moges (Published, FIG Congress, 16-21 June, 2014 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia): How Much Does ‘Privatization of Land’ Mean for Developing a Cadastral System? www.fig.net.
- Melkamu Moges & Shewakena Aytenfsu (Published, FIG Congress, Sydney, April 2010): Facing the Challenges through Land Administration Capacity Building in Ethiopia, www.fig.net.
- Melkamu Moges (Published, Sydney April 2010): Establishing an Ethiopian Land Administration Professionals’ Association: A Conducive Environment, www.fig.net.
- Melkamu Moges (Published, Eilat, Israel, 2009): Growing Initiatives towards the Improvement of Cadastre in Urban Centres of Amhara Region: Potentials, Prospects, Challenges www.fig.net.
- Melkamu Moges (Published, Stockholm 2008): The Need for Modern Real Estate Management in Urban Ethiopia: the Case of Bahir Dar City, www.fig.net.
MAJOR RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Land Law, Property Law, Environmental Law, Cadastre, Land Registration, Land Management and Administration, Land Policy and Governance, and Land Dispute Resolution.