- Full Name: Frew Yirgalem Mane
- Academic Rank: Lecturer
- Address: Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies, Piazza Martiri della Libertà, 33 56127 Pisa (Italia)
- Tel: (+39) 351 1655 718 (Italy) (+251) 911543831 (Ethiopia)
- Doctoral student in Human Rights and Global Politics, Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies(Italy).
- MasterofScienceinUrbanManagementandDevelopment(2013)InstituteforHousingandUrban DevelopmentStudies(IHS),ErasmusUniversityRotterdam(Netherlands)
- ·BachelorofArtsdegreeinPoliticalScienceandInternationalRelations(withgreatdistinction)(2006)Addis Ababa University(Ethiopia).
- AfricaCentreforTransformativeandInclusiveLeadership,andUNWomenCurriculumDevelopment Workshop.Mt.KenyaSafariClub,Nanyuki,Kenya.2nd–15thJuly2017
- TrainingofTrainersWorkshop,AfricanCentreforTransformativeandInclusiveLeadership,andUNWomen, 24-26October2016,UtaliiHotel,Nairobi,KenyaYoungAfricanLeadersInitiative(YALI),YALIRegionalLeadershipCentreEastAfrica,Nairobi,January- March2016.
- Research Assistant, Federal House of Peoples’ Representatives(HPR), and Ethiopia, Parliamentary Internship The program organized jointly by Addis Ababa University, Inter-Africa Group, and House of Peoples' Representatives, January-July2010.
Teaching and Leadership Exxperiances
- Chairperson,DepartmentofPoliticalScienceandInternationalStudies(2014-2017);andCoordinator, GraduatePrograms(2013)BahirDarUniversity(Ethiopia)
- LecturerofPoliticsofDevelopment(2006-2017),BahirDarUniversity(Ethiopia) List of coursethought:
v Political Dynamism of Development inEthiopia
v International PoliticalEconomy
v Development theories and issues
v Contemporary GlobalIssues
v Introduction to civics and ethical education
v Urban governance and development
Conferences and Presentation·
- “ThePoliticsofDevelopmentinPost-NeoliberalAfrica:theCaseofEthiopia” Conferencepaperpresentedat “YoungScholarsInitiative(YSI)AfricaConvening: DevelopmentWorkingGroup”, organized by Institute of New Economic Thinking in Collaboration with University of Zimbabwe, from 16-18 August 2018, Harare, Zimbabwe.
- "The Promises and Perils of Urban redevelopment for land value capture: the case of Casa Inchis project in Addis Ababa" in the First Annual National Research Workshop of the Faculty of Social Science, Bahir Dar Universityorganizedunderthethemeof'Culture, SocialMobility, GovernanceandDevelopment', April24-25, 2014
- Worldschool'sGlobalDevelopmentEvent, April2,2013, the Hague,theNetherlandswhereIcontributedtothe event in evaluating and commenting students' research reports drawn from Ecuador, Ethiopia and the Philippines
- 'Regional Development Policies' in the 'Lake Tana City Region- Prospectives of Future Urbanization', InternationalScientificWorkshoporganizedbyBahirDarUniversity, UniversityofHamburgandETH-Zurich February, 17 - 19,2011
- ParticipatedintheSixteenWeeklyConsecutiveYouthDialoguesessionsorganizedjointlybySaveYour GenerationEthiopia,UNICEFandAddisAbabaUniversity,February-July2006.
- TheHistoryandNatureofDevelopmentalState:WhatLessonscanEthiopiaLearnfrom'theAsianTigers'?" PaperpresentedintheFirstNationalWorkshopinPoliticalScience,BahirDarUniversity,April16-17,2016
African Centre for Transformative and Inclusive Leadership, and UN Women Curriculum Development Workshop. Mt. Kenya Safari Club, Nanyuki, Kenya. 2nd– 15th July 2017
Training of Trainers Workshop, African Centre for Transformative and Inclusive Leadership, and UN Women, 24-26 October, 2016, Utalii Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya
Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), YALI Regional Leadership Centre East Africa, Nairobi, January, 2016- March, 2016.
Research Assistant, Federal House of Peoples' Representatives (HPR), Ethiopia, Parliamentary Internship Program organized jointly by Addis Ababa University, InterAfrica Group, and House of Peoples' Representatives, January 2010- July 2010.
Higher Diploma License, Certified Professional Teacher Educator, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia, August, 2008
- Secretary, Bahir Dar University Teachers' Association, a regional chapter of Ethiopian Teachers Association, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia, March 2014- September 2017.
- Rotary Club Lake Tana, District D-9212, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia, November 2015- present.
- Member of Program Development Committee, Department of Civics and Ethical Studies, Bahir Dar University, October, 2016- June 2017 ·
- Member of Academic Commission, Faculty of Social Science, Bahir Dar University, October 2013-16 ·
- Member of Curriculum Committee, Political Science, and Peace and Conflict Studies, Bahir Dar University, October 2013- 2014. ·
- Blue Nile Rotaract Club, Bahir Dar, October, 2013-September 2014.
The Political-Economy of Liberal Reforms in Ethiopia (forthcoming) Journal of World Development
- State-led Development in Ethiopia: a failed project or an existential threat to the nation?’ in ContemporaryAfricaandtheForeseeableWorldOrder,editedbyFrancisOnditi,GiladBen-Nun, CristinaDe’Alessandro,andZachLevey.NewYorkandLondon:LEXINGTONBOOKS.
- ThePromisesandPerilsofUrbanRedevelopmentforLandValueCapture:thecaseofCasaInchis projectinAddisAbaba.’EthiopianJournalofSocialSciences(EJSS),2(2):67-98.
- WomenPoliticalEmpowermentandDecentralizationinAddisKetemaSub-city,AddisAbaba.VDM Verlag Publishing House: Saarbrucken,Germany.
Honors and Awards
- YoungAfricanLeadersInitiative,RegionalLeadershipCentreEastAfrica,Nairobi,January,2016-March, 2016.
- TheNetherlandsFellowshipProgram(worth27,000Euros),IHS,ErasmusUniversityRotterdamthe Netherlands October, 2012- September,2013
Professor Stefan Collignon, Professor of Political Economy, Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, International Chief Economist - Centro Europa Ricerche (CER), Roma; Institute of Global Affairs (London School of Economics). Mobile: +33 6 180 426 40. Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professor Kassahun Birhanu(Ph.D.)ProfessorofPoliticalScience,AddisAbabaUniversitye-mail:email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org.Mobile:+251911608032