As per Article 81 of the senate Legislation(May 2019), Academic staffs shall Have the following duties and responsibilities
- Academic staff shall be required to be a scholar with full devotion to the advancement of the frontiers of knowledge in accordance with the best traditions developed by great scholarly circles the world over.
- Every academic staff shall carry out his functions in the best interest of the University and that of the country having due regard to his profession.
- Every academic staff shall teach courses in his area of specialization following established
University procedures in such a way that the course material may be delivered in an appropriate way.
- Every academic staff shall endeavor to stay abreast of the latest thinking in his area of specialization and shall periodically update his teaching material, within the resources available.
- Every academic staff shall encourage, guide and permit students to freely and rationally question and examine issues and various lines of thoughts in the course of their study;
- Every academic staff shall inform the course chair or department head or vice Dean, or Dean
well in advance if and when he cannot be available for teaching due to his involvement in a
recognized or relevant fieldwork, seminar, workshop, etc;
- Every academic staff shall conduct classes regularly and never miss classes except for force
majeure reasons which are immediately communicated to the nearest supervisor or head or
Dean of his AU;
- Every academic staff shall give make-up classes for all the classes he missed due to his
involvement in a field work, seminar, workshop or any other activity recognized by his
academic unit. However, such make up classes should not exceed 25% of the course unless
approved by AVP;
- No academic staff shall handover the course that he has been assigned to teach to any other
individual for any length of time without the approval of the course chair;
- Every academic staff shall refrain from any act of discrimination against any individual or
group on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex or creed, disability or any other unreasonable ground;
- Every academic staff shall develop relationship of mutual respect and trust with students and
members of his academic units and department;
- Every academic staff maybe assigned to various positions of responsibilities.
- Every academic staff member shall have other responsibilities provided under Art 32 of the Higher Education Proclamation.
- Academic staffs who are medical and health professionals shall have also the responsibility to
render health services in the University's teaching hospital.
- Every academic staff shall refrain from unlawful acts that adversely affect the teaching learning as well as other activities of the University.
- A teaching staff member with an academic rank of Assistant Professor and above shall publish
at least two articles per four academic years and present one seminar/conference at AU,
University or national level per academic year. However research staff shall publish at least
six articles per four academic years.
- A staff member with academic rank of Lecturer shall publish at least one article per four academic years and shall present at least one seminar at AU or University level per academic year.
- During the official working hours, an academic staff shall give full energy and attention, to
the best of his ability, to the job to which he is assigned unless he is a joint appointee, employee or unless the Academic Vice President, in agreement with the head of the responsible AU, assigns him to perform duties for other institutions.
- No academic staff shall undertake any outside activity, which may tend to impair his usefulness to the University or conflict with his duties
- The Office of the Academic Vice President in consultation with academic affairs executive director shall prepare a Code of Conduct which every academic staff shall be subject to upon approval by the Senate.