The College of Medicine and Health Sciences is the newest addition among the list of colleges of Bahir Dar University. It was established in October 2007 with an objective of training competent medical doctors and other cadres of health professionals. Currently, the college is accepting students from Federal Ministry of Education assigned to attend medical school or other health sciences (school of nursing... ..).It also provides bachelor level training to nurses and health officers in its extension (continuing education) program.
To see the college being one of the best centers of excellence in the country and in East Africa in training health professionals and doing problem solving research
- Produce professionally competent medical doctors and other health professionals
- Conducting health related researches that are relevant and problem solving in a developing country.
- Work in partnership with sister institutes at home and abroad to strengthen the capacity of the college
- Work in close collaboration with the Amhara regional health bureau to improve the quality of health care in Amhara region in particular & the country at large
- Participate in carrying out in-service training and other consultancy activities on health and related issues by working closely with relevant local stakeholders and national professional societies for the betterment of the health of the society
The college is led by a Dean who is accountable to Vice president for Academic & research affairs, and is supported by a vice (assistant) dean. There are currently seven preclinical departments, eight clinical departments and 2public health departments. As the BPR was done before our new college was fully functional, the structure of our college shall change sooner.