According to the Higher Education Cost Sharing Regulation No.91/2003 of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Council of Minister, all beneficiaries of public institutions of higher learning shall share full costs related with boarding and lodging and a minimum 15% of tuition related costs (article 4). The details are stated hereunder.
Art. 4. Beneficiary's Share and Mode of Application
1) All beneficiaries of public institutions of higher learning shall share full costs related with boarding and lodging and a minimum 15% of tuition related costs. The amount to be shared shall be calculated based on the cost to be incurred at each institution and program of study and shall be revealed to the beneficiaries at the beginning of each academic year.
2) The beneficiary shall pursue his education after entering a written contract agreement with the respective institution for the future discharge of the amount of cost to be borne by him referred to under Sub-article (1) of this Article. This contract document is a legal document.
3) Any beneficiary who discontinues or completes his education shall be given a document stating the amount owed. The document shall have full name of the beneficiary, address, photo and other relevant information.
4) The cost of education and training shall be revised at least every three years. The Ministry shall enact directives to this effect.
5) Only an Ethiopian national is eligible for pursuing his higher education or training upon the contractual commitment for future payment, in cash or in service, of his share of the cost in the form of graduate tax.
Art. 5. Incentives
1) Up to 5% deduction of the payable cost shall be made for beneficiaries who pay every year the total cost determined either by themselves or by the support of organizations.
2) Up to 3% deduction of the payable cost shall be made for beneficiaries who pay the total cost determined within the first year of their graduation.
Currently the costs per annum for the institute’s students are set as follows:
Tuition fee - 328 Ethiopian Birr.
Food - 600 Ethiopian Birr.
Accommodation- 2400 Ethiopian Birr.
Total – 3328 Ethiopian Birr.
The rate of payment for extension (evening) and distance program students vary from year to year, and as stated above, the cost sharing arrangement doesn’t apply to such students.