FULL NAME: Desalegn Ejigu
CURRENT ADMINISTRATIVE TITLE (if any):
OFFICE ADDRESS (Dept. and BLDG/Office No.): Biology, C-6
MOBILE NUMBER (Optional)
OFFICE PHONE NUMBER: (If any)
E-MAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
FAX ADDRESS: (If any)
Year of Degree Degree Institution
PhD: in Biology (Ecological & Systematic Zoology); January 2013, AAU, Ethiopia.
M.Sc. in Biology (Ecological & Systematic Zoology); July 2004, AAU, Ethiopia
B.Sc. in Biology; July 1992, AAU, Ethiopia
ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS (old and new)
Department Distance Education Coordinator: Department of Biology, Bahir Dar University (BDU), 2006 – 2008
Course chair for Zoological Sciences stream, Department of Biology, College of Science, BDU, Feb. 2013 to Jan. 2016.
Science College Postgraduate, Research and Community Service Coordinator, BDU, since Apr. 2013 to Feb. 2014.
Science College Research and Community Service Coordinator, BDU, Feb. 2014 to Apr., 2016.
AWARDS AND HONORS (if any)
- Chicago Zoological Society, 2011;
- Mohamed bin Species Conservation Fund 2011;
- Lliland University, 2010;
- College of Science, Bahir Dar University, 2014
UNIVERSITY COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS: (departmental, Faculty, School, College, Institute)
Member for Department Council: Department of Biology, BDU, 2004 – 2008.
Member for Science College Discipline and Faculty Affairs Committee, BDU, since Feb. 2013 to Apr. 2016.
Chairperson for Science College Promotion Committee, BDU, Feb. 2013 to Apr., 2016
Chairperson for Science College Research Ethical Clearance Committee, BDU, Feb. 2013 to Apr., 2016
Chairperson for Science College Staff Promotion Committee, College of Science, BDU, Feb. 2013 to Apr., 2016
Member, Modular MSc Curriculum Committee in the Department of Biology, Bahir Dar University, 2013- 2015.
Member for Department Council: Department of Biology, BDU, Feb. 2013 to Jan. 2016.
Member for Department Graduate Council: Department of Biology, BDU, Aug. 2016 to date.
Different committee members at University level (Committee member for PhD students incentive proposal preparation 2013, Committee chair for Materials Science and Engineering MSc Curriculum Revision 2014, Committee member for guidelines preparation to international conference participants and journal publication cost to BDU staff members 2014).
Conference Organizing Committee (ASC-2013 in May, 2013, ASC-2014 in May 2014, ASC-2015 in April 2015, the 25th Biological Society Conference in March 2015, AFRICOME and AFRICOT International Conference in September 2015).
OTHER MAJOR COMMITEE ASSIGNMENTS: (national, regional, international)
-Member, National University Curriculum Committee in the Department of Biology, Bahir Dar
University, Ministry of Education, 2007/8.
- Consultancy service for biodiversity/ecology between Bahir Dar University and Amhara
National Regional State Environmental Protection Authority, 2007, Bahir Dar.
- Consultancy service for wildlife/ecology between Bahir Dar University and Amhara National
Regional State Parks Development and Protection Authority, 2008, Bahir Dar.
TRAINING OF GRADUATE STUDENTS (list present and past) chronological
MSc THESIS ADVISING
1. Moges Dubale (2014): Comparative study to address diversity, relative abundance and habitat
association ofrodents in Aquatimo forest patch and adjacent farmland in Machakele Woreda, East Gojjam, Ethiopia
2. Yenew Genet (2014): Diversity, Abundance, and Habitat Association of Avian species in Dikuma
and Apini forest area, Awi zone, Ethiopia
3. Fenatanesh Hailu (2104 as co-advisor): GIS and remote sensing based habitat suitability
analysis for hippopotamus (H. Amphibious); the case of Lake Tana and its
4. Mohammed Hussen (2015): Diurnal Activity Patterns, Feeding Ecology and Conservation
Status of Colobus Monkey (Colobusguerezagallarum) in Gidabo Forest, Sidama
5. Mebratom Tesfay(2015): Impact of Traditional Gold Mining on Environment with Emphasis
on Plant Diversity in Tahitay Adiabo Woreda, Northwestern Tigray, Ethiopia
6. Mekonnen Guangul(2015): The Effect of Prosopis juliflora (Sw.)DC. Invasion on Grazing
Land and Cattle Population in Dubti woreda, north-east Afar, Ethiopia
7. Michael Oche (2015): The role of graveyard heritage in biodiversity conservation in wolaita
zone of SNNPRS, Ethiopia"
8. Gebeyehu Resky (2015): Ecology of Ethiopian wolf(Canis semensis) in Gudulafto Destrict,
9. Cameron D. Clarke (2015). Population status and behavioral ecology of grivet monkeys (Chlorocebus aethiops) in the main campus of Bahir Dar University, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
10. Takele Tesfahun (2016): Species diversity, relative abundance and habitat assemblage of birds in Altash National Park, Ethiopia
11. Belaynesh Abebaw (2016): Community composition, relative abundance and habitat
association of birds in the Cherechera wetland, mouth of Blue Nile River and adjacent
areas of Lake Tana
12. Kibrom Tsegay (2016). Assessment of risk factors to honey bees absconding in Sekota
district, of the Amhara, Waghimra Zone, Ethiopia
13. Endihnew Tesfa (2016 from Debere Berhan University). Species diversity, relative
abundance and habitat association of birds in Taragedam Manastry forest, northwestern
- Biol.453: Wildlife Ecology and Management
- Biol.407: Principles of Taxonomy
- Biol. 431: Animal Ecology
- Biol. 202: Conservation of Natural Resources
- Biol. 302: Principles of Ecology
- Biol. 324: Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Biol. 121: Invertebrate Zoology
- Biol. 122: Vertebrate Zoology
- Biol. 101: Basic Biological Laboratory Techniques
Biol. 676: Advanced Wildlife Conservation and Ecotourism
- Biol. 632: Advanced Animal Ecology
- Biol. 636: Animal Evolution and Systematics
- Biol. 522: Animal Behaviour
- Biol. 602: Research Design and Scientific Writing
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES (if any) chronological
- Biological Society of Ethiopia,
- Ethiopian Wildlife and Natural History Society,
- Ecotourism and biodiversity Conservation, and
- Ethiopian Red Cross Society
OFFICE AND COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
-Conference Organizing Committee member for the 25th Biological Society Conference in March 2015, Bahir Dar University, Bahir Dar
1. Mohammed Hussen1 and Dessalegn Ejigu (submitted). Diurnal activity patterns, feeding ecology and conservation status of colobus monkeys (Colobus guereza gallarum) in Gidabo forest, Sidama Zone, Ethiopia
2. Belaynesh Abebaw, Dessalegn Ejigu, Ayalew Wonde and Tilahun Kefyalew (Submitted). Species composition, relative abundance and distribution of birds in the southern gulf of Lake Tana and head of the Blue Nile River, Ethiopia
3. Takele Tesfahun and Dessalegn Ejigu (Submitted ). Species diversity, relative abundance and habitat association of birds in Altash National Park, Ethiopia
4. Cameron D. Clarke, Dessalegn Ejigu and Tilahun Kefyalew (Submitted). Population status and behavioral ecology of grivet monkeys (Chlorocebus aethiops) in the main campus of Bahir Dar University, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
5. Dessalegn Ejigu and Afework Bekele (in Press). Population structure and group size of geladas (Theropithecus gelada) at Chenek, Simien Mountains National Park, Ethiopia
6. Moges Dubale and Dessalegn Ejigu (accepted). Diversity, relative abundance and habitat association of rodents in Aquatimo forest patches and adjacent Farmlands East Gojjam, Ethiopia
7. Yenew Genet and Dessalegn Ejigu (2017). Diversity, relative abundance and habitat assemblage of avian species in different vegetation strata of Apini and Dikuma forest patches, Awi Admistrative Zone, Ethiopia. Ethiopian J. Sci & Tech. 10(1):33-52.
8. Dessalegn Ejigu and Afework Bekele (2015). Diurnal activity patterns and feeding ecology of geladas (Theropithecus gelada) in Simien Mountains National Park, Ethiopia. African Journal of Ecology, 53(2): 231-237
9. Dessalegn Ejigu, Afework Bekele, Larkin Powell and Jean-Marc Lernould ( 2015). Habitat preference of the endangered and endemic Ethiopian walia ibex (Capra walie) in Simien Mountains National Park, Ethiopia. Journal of Animal Diversity and Conservation 38(1): 1-10.
10. Dessalegn Ejigu and Afework Bekele (2010). Population structure, feeding ecology and human - grivet monkeys conflict at Bahir Dar University main campus, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia. J. Ethiop. Biol. Sci. 9:35-47.
11. Dessalegn Ejigu and Abebe Getahun (2011). Plate tectonics and its effect on distribution of animals in Africa and adjacent continents. Lambert Academic Publishing, 60pp.
12. Berhanu A., Ali S., Dessalegn Ejigu, and Melaku A. (2006). Survey of woody flora and fauna of the BDU main campus: a showcase for the need of conservation. Eth. J. Sci. & Tech. 3(2): 51- 68.
13. Ejigu D. and Mekonen Y.(2005). Pesticide use on agricultural fields and health problems in various activities. East African Medical Journal 82(8): 422-427.
14. Mekonen Y. and Ejigu D.(2005). Plasma cholinesterase determination of Ethiopian farmers. J. Occup. Med. 55: 504-505.
Population Status and Ecology of walia ibex (Capra walie): A study to address its Conservation in Simien Mountains National Park, Ethiopia
Public Lectures delivered (Place (National/International) of last 3 years only)
1. Dessalegn Ejigu (2015). Habitat preference of walia ibex (Capra walie) in Simien Mountains National Park, Ethiopia. Peking University, China, Nov. 2015.
2. Dessalegn Ejigu (2013). Bioindicators in Environmental Monitoring: A Critical Rreview. 2nd Annual National Science Conference, (ASC-2014), College of Science, Bahir Dar University,2 – 3 May 2014.
3. Dessalegn Ejigu (2013). Population status and ecology of walia ibex (Capra walia): study to address its sustainable conservation in the Simien Mountains National Park, 1st Annual Science National Conference (ASC-2013), College of Science, Bahir Dar University, 31st May – 1st June, 2013.
4. Dessalegn Ejigu (2012). Ibex in Ethiopia: Implication for conservation of walia ibex in the Simien Mountains National Park, Ethiopia, 207 Hardin Hall, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA, 25 April, 2012.
5. Teshome Soromessa, Ensermu Kelbessa, Afework Bekele, Getinet Masresha, Dessalegn Ejigu, Melese Yihune and FissehaItanna (2011).Current status and significance of faunal and floral diversity of the Simien Mountains, northern Ethiopia. A poster presented on December 30- 31, 2011 during the conference on thematic research organized by Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
MAJOR RESEARCH INTERESTS (1/2 page maximum)
Animal ecology, conservation biology, biodiversity management, human-wildlife conflict, wildlife habitat assessment, issues related to environment and etc
Note: send your profile to email@example.com
Solomon Mulu, Central Web Manager, BDU