Call for Participation on TQLM with AIMS Workshop at Bahir Dar University
Date: March 5-9, 2018
Venue: Center for College of Science Teaching and Research Laboratories
Bahir Dar University
Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
Application Deadline: January 30th, 2018
Space is limited yet scholarship is available for excellent postgraduate students
The Department of Chemistry in the College of Science at Bahir Dar University will conduct a five day specialized training workshop on total quality laboratory management (TQLM) with advances in practical analytical instrumental methods (AIMS) for laboratory Managers, Scientists, Engineers, Technicians and Postgraduate Students working in teaching and research laboratories.
What is the workshop about?
The workshop is organized as a part of memorandum of understanding between Bahir Dar University and Public-Private organizations working to deliver scientific services to research and teaching laboratories to promote science in general and chemical sciences in particular. The specialized training workshop will focus on the following agendas:
- Laboratory Management Practices I: GLP and ISO/ICE 17025 with GAP analysis
- Elemental Techniques: AAS and ICP-OES
- Spectroscopic Techniques: UV-Vis and FTIR
- Electrochemical Methods: Cyclic Voltammeter and Potentiometer
- Chromatographic Techniques: HPLC and GC-MS
- Microscopic Methods: AFM and SEM
- Laboratory Management Practices II: Strategic Environmental Assessment and laboratory Safety and Waste Management
The objective of the workshop is to contribute to the scientific knowledge and encourage professional laboratory managers, scientists, engineers and analysts to undertake continuing professional development as a lifelong educational process. To enable the participants aware of current laboratory management practices and develops more sophisticated skills in advanced analytical instruments and understands the basic principles of data management and instrumentation.
The workshop is supervised by a set of senior scientists, the scientific program advisory committee, the local organizing committee and a set of trainers who are highly experienced and trained in laboratory management practices and instrumental methods. Participants share their experiences and learn some special skills from seniors and experts and from each other who will come from various backgrounds. The workshop sessions and other activities will be guided by professionals in the field.
Scientific program advisory committee members
- Dr. Bewketu Mahirie (Advisor on Spectroscopic Techniques, Gondar)
- Mr. Dagnachew Jije (Advisor on Chromatographic Techniques, Addis Ababa)
- Dr. Kebede Nigussie (Advisor on Elemental Analysis Techniques, Mekelle)
- Dr. Assefa Sergawie (Advisor on Electroanalytical Techniques, Addis Ababa)
- Dr. Amare Benore (Advisor on Microscopic Techniques, Bahir Dar)
Local Organizing committee members
- Dr. Girma Kibatu (Chair)
- Dr. Minaleshewa A. (Scientific Secretary: Program Division)
- Assist. Prof. Mr. Zebasil Tassew (Treasurer: Administration and Finance)
- Mr. Dagmawie Abebe (Public relation and information: Sponsors and Exhibits)
- Web Master
Scientific program Trainers
- Mr. Faik Awal (Trainer on Spectroscopic Techniques, Addis Ababa)
- Mr. Dagnachew Lelisa (Trainer on Chromatographic Techniques, Addis Ababa)
- Dr. Lemma Wogi (Trainer on Elemental Analysis Techniques, Haramaya)
- Dr. Maereg Amare (Trainer on Electroanalytical Techniques, Bahir Dar)
- Dr. Kalid Ahmed (Trainer on Microscopic Techniques, Bahir Dar)
- Mr. Gemechu Sorsa (Laboratory Management system ISO 17027, Addis Ababa)
The workshop will be conducted in a lecture room style for theoretical discussions and valuable insights in management practices and instrumental technique advances; and the practical trainings will be conducted at the Center for College of Science Teaching and Research Laboratories in the college of science at Bahir Dar University and some partner research and service laboratories in Bahir Dar with full training facilities.
Eligible Target Participants:
The workshop is targeted for Laboratory Managers, Scientists, Engineers, Technicians and Postgraduate Students working and looking for a career in teaching and research laboratories and people in charge of facilities who continually seek to enhance knowledge of good laboratory skills and practices. Participation in this workshop is awarded on a competitive basis and constitutes a place on the TQLM workshop programs.
Application and Registration:
Participation in this workshop is awarded on a competitive basis and constitutes a place on the TQLM workshop programs. Applications to this TQLM workshop at Bahir Dar University are due December 1st, 2017. To apply, all participants are expected to complete the application form and send the form to register at email@example.com. There is no registration fee for this workshop but accepted applicants will contribute 100 birr to sponsor postgraduate students. Two scholarships of 1500 birr each will thus be available to postgraduate students to defray the cost of the workshop and hotel.
The deadline for application and registration is January 30th, 2018 and acceptances to your application to participate in the workshop will be e-mailed to you by February 10th, 2018.
The college of science will give the participants certificate of participation for attending the workshop to promote participants commitment and to ensure all collaboration with professional bodies and benefit the public.
Accommodation and Travel:
Accommodation will be provided to outstation participants from 5–9 March, 2018 and travel allowances by shortest route (Economic class air fare/railway fare/actual bus fare) will be reimbursed to the outstation participants subject to the production of ticket.
Laboratory Science Exhibition and EXPO:
Research and Service Laboratories, Commercial Scientific Private Organizations and Government and Public Institutions delivering scientific services and products will be showcasing their products and services at an exhibition or expo event during the workshop. This will open a platform to meet our partners in laboratory work, share information and get questions and answers for any technical and value-chain matters in our relationships.
Bahir Dar University, College of Science, The Department of Chemistry and The local TQLM Workshop Organizing Committee welcome you to meet you in our center for college of science teaching and research laboratories in Bahir Dar. Any questions about this workshop can be directed to:
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Girma Kibatu Berihie
TQLM Workshop Chair
Tel +251 912159179
Workshop E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
College of Science, Department of Chemistry
Bahir Dar University