Central Laboratories Directorate
The Blue Nile water institute's central laboratory ( BNMI-CL) was established by the institute very recently to meet the needs of various research projects It is currently administered by the institute's central laboratories management directorate office and housed in Bahir Dar Institutes of Technology. Dr Assegdew Gashaw is the Center's Director, and Minaleshewa Atlabachew is the Lab Manager. Mrs Mestawot and Miss Lidya Tesfaye are chief technicians working in the lab. We provide analytical testing service for organic and inorganic anaytes from water, food and soil samples.
The mission of the BNWI-central lab is to provide high-quality analyses in support of research projects conducted by scientists and students from the institute, university and the country.
We have several equipments and kits for sample preparation and water quality assessments. The following are some of the lists
- UV-Vis spectrophotometer ( both single bean and double beam), Photometers, KJeldahl digestions and titration set up ( semi Automatic) , Colony conuter, Multimeter water quality checkers , Ultrasonci bath BOD meter, Portable Bacteriological quality assessment kits, and others . Some of the photos are displayed.
The laboratory is now hosted in BIT campus. The BNWI laboratory facilities consist of the Research Support Equipment Room costing of various water quality testing Analytical equipments and other matrices. We have also most of the required set-ups for sample analysis.
Description of the BNWI- central laboratory management unit
The Blue Nile Water Institute-central laboratory (BNWI-CL) management unit is among the five directorates of the institute managed by a laboratory head. It has vision to be an internationally recognized centre of excellence for analysis of water and related samples”.
The laboratory will develop expertize on physicochemical, microbiological and other related researches of water that align with the mission of the institute.Thus the BNWI-CL will commit to attain all the requirements of national and international standards and regulations related to quality water analysis. Principally, it will work based on the requirements of ISO 17025 in order to acquire accreditation on some of its testing service in water analysis, which assists to exceed costumer’s satisfaction with continual improvement of its management system. The potential customers of the laboratory are primarily researchers of the BNWI and the University staffs; other governmental and nongovernmental organizations working on water and related researches are expected.
Since the institute has no its own building, the lab will stay in temporary rooms that allow for only preliminary water analysis. Now it is planned to establish a state-of-art laboratory for the water and related researches with its full furnished researcher’s office. It is almost under construction in all aspects, such as laboratory site selection is almost accomplished and design of building construction is going to be contracted soon; recruitment of lab personnel is on progress; analysis equipment and consumables purchase is on request.
Research Units (with some description)
The principal purpose of the BNWI-CL is to assist other directorate researchers by providing laboratory service. Besides that laboratory researches are conducted on the following research units.
· Quality Laboratory management: under which traditional and modern management systems will be studied, revised and introduced to our laboratory system and the output will be disseminated to other laboratories in the country.
· Water analysis method development: in which simple or user-friendly, time and labour saving, cost effective novel and modified method of water analysis will be developed.
Minaleshewa Atilabachew (PhD)
Position: Directorate Head of BNWI-CL management Unit.
· Specializations: analytical chemistry
· Home department: College of Sciences, Department of chemistry
· Contact information (phone and email):
Other Staffs of the Directorate
1. Zebasil Tasew
Specialization: Analytical Chemistry
Contact Address: Blue Nile Water Institute
Department of Industrial Chemistry
Bahir Dar University,
Post box 420
· CV (to be uploaded as attachment):
· Ongoing researches
1. Assessment of Pesticide Usage, Application and Quantitative Determination of Predominant Pesticide Residues in Water and Crops of Tana Sub-Basins, Ethiopia.
2. Survey of Laboratory Safety and Waste Disposal in Bahir Dar and Nearby Towns.
· Completed researches:No
· Researches under review:No